The Florida Department of Education’s (FLDOE) Read-At-Home Plan Resource Guide includes information related to the six essential components of reading:
- Oral Language: The system through which we use spoken words to express knowledge, ideas, and feelings.
- Phonological Awareness: The understanding that a spoken word is made up of different parts, and that each of these parts makes a sound.
- Phonics: The ability to connect spoken sounds to written letters or words.
- Fluency: The ability to read accurately with appropriate rate and expression.
- Vocabulary: The knowledge of words and meanings.
- Comprehension: The understanding and interpretation of what is read.